MxScan works on a filtering scheme that is based on FILTERACTION(s) and cumulative spam score thresholds. The [Filter Actions] tab is where you can set the appropriate actions to be taken when a message hits a certain score threshold.
Looking at the default screen shot above
- a. messages that score within 6 - 11.9 points will match the LOW FilterAction (Insert Subject Text)
- b. messages that score within 12 - 20.9 points will match the MEDIUM FilterAction (Quarantine)
- c. messages that score greater than or equal 20 points will match the HIGH FilterAction (Delete)
- d. NO ACTION will be taken to messages that score less than 6 points.
There are 6 different FilterAction types for each category as below
- No Action
- This simply means that no action is taken and that the message is allowed to pass through as per normal
- Prefix Subject Line with Text
- Message will be allowed through
- Message received will be prefix with a specific text
- Individual Users can then opt to to set their email client to move these prefixed message to a particular folder (i.e Spam-Low) which they can later review to determine if the messages are actual spam
- Insert Message Header
- This will insert an email message header for all messages that matches (email headers are normally not visible in the email client by default).
- An example of how this can be used to work with MailEnable is to have messages inserted with the header "X-ME-Content: Deliver-To=Junk" . MailEnable Enterprise admin can then use this information to move messages to the individual users Junk Email folder. For additional information please see http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Article.asp?ID=me020379
- If no further action is taken on the server level, the messages will be allowed to pass through
- Messages quarantined will be moved to a quarantine folder. These messages will NOT be deliverd to the users mailbox. The default location for the quarantine folder is located at c:\program files\mail enable\queues\smtp\inbound\messages\mxscan_spam.
- The quarantine folder can be changed from within MxScanConfig by clicking SETTINGS->Spam Quarantine Settings and changing the 'Quarantine Folder' value
- Forward Message
- This action type will forward the message to another email address as an Attachment
- Delete Message
- This action will delete the message from the server permenantly
- Message will not be delivered to the users inbox